A blog about keeping yourself and your expenses lean in Oakland County, Michigan.



SparkPeople.com: Get a Free Online Diet

Friday, December 4, 2009

Grocery Store Roll Call November Monthly Summary

November Grocery Store Summary

Well I have been hit or miss with my Grocery Store Roll Call but I finally did it! I tracked for a whole month. So here is now a summary of my results.

11/07 (Kroger, VGs, Meijer's & Pharmacies)
Spent - $60.05
Total Cost before savings: $249.85
Percentage Saved:75.9%.

11/15 (Kroger, Meijer's & Pharmaices)
Spent: $33.05
Total Cost before savings: $127.79
Percentage Saved: 74.2%.

11/22 (Aldi's Trip)
Spent: $106.80
Total Cost before savings: $282.21
Percentage Saved: 62.2%

11/25 (Made a quick run to Meijer's for bottled water, Tortilla chips and salsa for my meal and a couple other things, estimate below)
Spent: $10.50
Total Cost before savings: $14.00
Percentage Saved: 25%

So for the month of November I spent $210.85 but bought 673.85 worth of products! Total savings for the entire month 69%.

I am pretty proud of this summary and it tells me a few things.  First if you have a pretty good stock pile you don't have to be perfect.  For various reasons week 11/22 I just didn't have time to work the match-ups so I ran to Aldi's.  On 11/25 I walked into Meijer's and made a purchase without cross-checking other stores and without a coupon book.  (But I bought things on sale, got blessed with a coupon on the shelf and bought a couple store brand items.)  Another thing you can clearly see is working the Pharmacies and loss-leaders at the high-low stores (your typical grocery store) works better than shopping the everyday low price store (Aldi's, Wal-Mart) without coupons.  The numbers just don't lie! 

Lastly I am just pretty proud because based on my last post to be a "thrifty grocery shopper" according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture I can spend about $350 a month on groceries for a family of 2.  I spent only 60% of that! Not only that a "liberal grocery shopper" spends about $680 in groceries and that is close to the value of what I bought!  So I am living like a liberal grocery shopper but paying less than a thrifty shopper! I think that is a great accomplishment!

No comments:

Post a Comment