Dollar General Official Coupon Policy is now available on-line here.
Here is the new policy as of 04/08/10:
Dollar General is pleased to accept Manufacturer’s Coupons and Dollar General Store Coupons at any of our more than 8,700 stores. These coupons come from a variety of sources, including, but not limited to, newspapers, magazines, print-at-home (internet), direct mail, product packaging, and in-store coupon boxes.
Our coupon requirements are as follows:
Dollar General will accept coupons, including Internet Coupons, provided they meet these requirements:
1. Coupons must be original (no photocopies)
2. Coupons must have a scan-able barcode
3. Coupons must have an expiration date
4. Coupons may be used only on products sold at Dollar General, and must match exactly to the item as it is packaged and sold at Dollar General.
5. Coupons must clearly say “Manufacturers Coupon” or “Dollar General Store Coupon”
Dollar General will NOT accept the following:
1. Manufacturer’s coupons that do not scan, or Dollar General Store Coupons with an invalid promotional code
2. Expired Coupons
3. Coupons for products not sold at Dollar General
4. FREE Item coupon if printed from the Internet, unless a purchase is required (example: a “buy one, get one free” is acceptable).
5. Coupons from other retailers or coupons that may be used only at other retailers
In addition, unless the coupons state otherwise, you may use multiple coupons in one transaction. You may also use a Dollar General coupon along with a Manufacturer’s coupon for the same item, as long as neither coupon states otherwise.
Dollar General is one of my everyday low price stores that I will run into to grab something quick. If I don't have a coupon or just don't have time to look one up or if I have a coupon and need something but haven't had time to price check around I will go to Dollar General. For example I just ran out of something I didn't stockpile well like batteries or trash bags then I will grab the latest coupon out (since there always is one) and head to Dollar General. There are also some specialty items like ethnic hair care products that tend to be cheaper there. They do have weekly specials but their claim to fame being a everyday low price store is generally keeping their prices overall. They are also a good place to catch clearance items. With their low prices discounted things 50%-90% can give you some great sales. I vividly remember how excited my nieces were about 6 months ago when I dropped off 3 stuff animals for them. Little did they know I had paid I total of $.80 for them as they were 90% off at Dollar General! As with any store prices vary so you do have to know your prices to know what is the cheapest at which dollar store, versus other everyday low price stores like Wal-Mart and Aldi's. And as usual shopping a rock-bottom sale with a good coupon usually beats out Dollar General, but when I am in pinch usually it is a good store for a quick stop to get me through.
Do you shop at Dollar General? What are the best deals you find there? What has been your exprerience? Please let me know in the comments section as well as any details I may have missed. If you have a Dollar Store/Dollar General Shopping Guide or if you do match-ups please add them to the linky below.