A blog about keeping yourself and your expenses lean in Oakland County, Michigan.



SparkPeople.com: Get a Free Online Diet

Monday, October 12, 2009

New Aldi's in Waterford!

I saw the sign for the first time on Saturday and screamed with Glee, there is a new Aldi's opening up less than a mile from my house!  Then I got a flier in the mail on Saturday their grand opening is this Saturday, Saturday the 17th.  You can get a gallon milk for  $1.00 at this location only until October 30th.  There is also a Pre-Grand Opening Open house from 11 AM to 4 PM on Thursday October 15th.  You'll be able to sample Aldi select brands and they will have hourly drawings!

Here is Aldi's official website:

http://aldi.us/index_ENU_HTML.htm

When I first got into saving money on groceries I read on a couple websites that shopping at Aldi's is the best strategy to reduce your expenses if you just can't cut coupons.  Before I was into coupons and I was in a money crunch Aldi's was the only place I shopped.  If I don't have a coupon for something and it is not on sale I will usually get it from Aldi's. 

There are a few things to know that are bit peculiar but it is how they keep their costs so low.  You have to place a quarter in a cart to retrieve it then when you return it you get it back.  This allows them to not need additional people to put carts back.  You also have to bring your own bags or you will pay for the bags there.  And you have to bag your own groceries.  They accept cash, EBT and most debit cards but do not accept checks or credit cards/debit cards without a pin number. 

They also do not accept coupons but their prices are so low that unless you have a great sale and a coupon making the purchase under 50% Aldi's will beat the other grocery store every time.  Occassionally they will have a coupon in a savings magazine for $5 off purchase of $30 etc. 

I am excited right now the closest Aldi's is in Pontiac it isn't too far away and I can hit it on the way home from my bus stop after work or worship service some times.  But this one now makes my Meijer's, Aldi's, Kroger's and VG's all within two miles of my house.  I just need a closer Target and I will be all set!

No comments:

Post a Comment