A blog about keeping yourself and your expenses lean in Oakland County, Michigan.



SparkPeople.com: Get a Free Online Diet

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Guest Post: What is Extreme Couponing? Courtesy of Stockpiling Moms

I keep hearing all the “hype” in the media associated with Extreme Couponing. I was watching The Marriage Ref and heard reference to “stockpiling” and “couponing” on two separate episodes as well as many times lately on the news. As a result I decided to look up the definition of “extreme”. According to Webster extreme is defined as, 1. existing in a very high degree, 2. going to great or exaggerated lengths and 3. exceeding the ordinary, usual, or expected .


After much reflection I have to agree that yes, I am an extreme couponer, though have always called myself a “stockpiler”. Indeed purchasing 40 Lysol products in one week is a recent and prime example of extreme couponing or purchasing 200 bottles of Mentos gum as I did recently is yet another. You may ask me, Why? I have to answer Why not? Why would I not purchase these items in bulk quantity when they are free or near free.

What is a Stockpile? A pile or storage location for bulk materials. In this case groceries, personal care or household products.

Why Stockpile? If you stockpile your groceries by strategically using coupons, you will never pay retail for your groceries. If you stockpile successfully you will save hundreds every month = thousands a year!

When do I stockpile? It is a strategic game. The objective is to “match” grocery sale prices to your coupons to take advantage of when your groceries are at rock bottom. This is when you stockpile.

How do I stockpile? You compare the coupon policies at the stores you have available to you as well as any incentives they offer you to shop there. Finally “match” your coupons to the sales ads and purchase when you find a deal that is at rock bottom. You purchase in a quantity to last your family until the item can be purchased again at rock bottom.

In order to successfully stockpile you are going to need to purchase or obtain multiple papers or purchase your coupons/inserts from a clipping service. You need to stockpile the quantity necessary to last your family until the next cycle. Once you are shopping from your stockpile weekly instead of from the grocery store, this is when you are going to see the savings!

As you can see from my picture I purchased a lot of Mentos gum. 200 bottles to be exact. First of all let me start by saying I did not clear any shelves when I purchased these. I ordered them directly through my store. I spent a total of $28.00 out of pocket for this purchase which equates to $.14 per bottle! Instead of paying between $1.00 – $1.59 a bottle retail you can immediately see the savings from my example of extreme couponing! I hope this explains to you the benefit of stockpiling or “extreme couponing”.

My thoughts: Great information on the basics!  Check out more articles on the basics here.  Thanks Stockpiling Moms!

No comments:

Post a Comment