A blog about keeping yourself and your expenses lean in Oakland County, Michigan.



SparkPeople.com: Get a Free Online Diet

Friday, July 16, 2010

Guest Post: Homemade Craft: Small Tote from Placemat Courtesy of Sarah's Deals

This project took just under an hour by hand (and would have been a lot less, if I knew how to use my sewing machine!). Total cost was just over $1. Supplies used: 1 Dollar Store Placemat, Heavy Weight Twine (found in hubby's stuff) and thread.


I folded in half and pinned as shown below:

Then I stitched up the two sides. I don't even know what the name of this stitch is, but I put it through and then pulled the thread through itself to make a tighter stitch. One side was stitched by my almost 6yo, they weren't perfect, but they most definately held!


Then, I cut six pieces of twine, put three together and knotted the end, then attached it to the open end, braided it, knotted the other end and sewed again:




I turned it right side out and Ta-Da!
And she loves it!!

My thoughts: I am not a crafty person at all so this is another article I like to bring to my readers to give them something new.  Thanks Sarah's Deals!

No comments:

Post a Comment