A blog about keeping yourself and your expenses lean in Oakland County, Michigan.



SparkPeople.com: Get a Free Online Diet

Thursday, January 7, 2010

The Basics 12 Ways to Fight Soaring Heating Bills - MSN Article










Well we have had three weeks or so with some temperatures below freezing here in MI and it is not going to stop any time soon so I thought this would be an appropriate article to post.  Especially since I just got my heating bill and it doubled from last month.  This is my second winter in my older home that we bought and I knew this would happen but still the sticker shock was there! 

Someone yesterday suggested lighting two candles in the room that you are in which will increase the heat by 25%.  I don't know if that is true or not but I will be trying.  I have tons of free and cheap candles stockpiled.  More tried and true methods listed in the article are:
1. Turn down the thermostat. (If you have an older home like mine without a smart thermostat you can program.)  We actually turn ours off when we leave the home.  We haven't been turning it down at night but after my bill I will be every night now! 
2. Use fans wisely. In just one hour, a hard-working bathroom or kitchen fan can expel a houseful of warm air, according to the Department of Energy. Turn them off as soon as theyve done their job.

3. Keep the fireplace damper closed.
4. Turn down the water heater.
5. Keep heating vents clear.
6. Use curtains.

Some other low costs fixes are:
7. Block that leak! We use simple towels for some of the door gaps.
8. Keep your ducts in a row.
9. Swaddle water heater and pipes.
10. Winterize windows. We have most of our windows covered with plastic.
11. Buy a low-flow showerhead.
12. Buy a smart thermostat.

For details of the above tips and more fixes (that you might want to implement when you have a little more money see the full article here.

No comments:

Post a Comment